- 1 favorite configuration on desktop
- 2 Configuration
- 3 sort after
- 4 Extensions
favorite configuration on desktop
restore previous session
chrome://settings/onStartup -> check "Continue where you left off"
Settings -> On startup -> check "Continue where you left off"
Settings -> On startup -> Manage on startup pages -> Pages to open on startup -> check "Continue where you left off"
chrome://settings/startupUrls -> Manage on startup pages -> Pages to open on startup -> check "Continue where you left off"
- chrome://settings or Menu -> Settings
-> Show advanced settings -> Privacy -> Content settings ->
- Location -> "Do not allow any site to track your physical location"
- Notifications -> "Do not allow any site to show notifications"
disable video auto play
- Disable automatic playing of videos on facebook.com using this extension. Once the extension is installed, hide the icon in the toolbar by right clicking on it -> select "Hide in Chrome menu".
Show the bookmarks toolbar
Settings -> Appearance -> Show bookmarks bar -> slide right
Set chrome as default web browser
Settings -> Default browser -> make chrome the default
After this, clicking on links in outlook will open them in chrome.
Settings -> Appearance -> Show Home button -> slide it right.
Set the home page to https://millionshort.com which is a search engine similar to Google.
set up custom search engines
Right click in the address bar -> Edit search engines or preferences button -> Settings -> Settings -> Search -> Manage search engines
|Add a new search engine||Keyword||URL with %s in place of query|
To access the search engines, enter the keyword in the address bar and press tab.
Another easy way to add a custom search engine is to go to the website, right click on the search bar -> select "Add as search engine..." -> edit the fields if necessary -> ok
Settings -> Show advanced settings -> Passwords and forms -> Manage passwords
- uBlock Origin. It was mentioned in http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2016/i-chipped-in/
Store bookmarks in a different location
start google chrome with --user-data-dir
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome\Google Chrome.lnk" --user-data-dir="D:\chrome\profile1"
which will store all the bookmarks somewhere under D:\chrome\profile1.
Default bookmarks location: 'C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/Bookmarks'
tags | where does chrome store bookmarks?, change default bookmarks location
save pdf files instead of opening them directly
Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy and security -> Content Settings -> PDF documents -> Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome -> turn on Settings -> Advanced -> Downloads -> Ask where to save each file before downloading -> turn on
- chrome://settings/syncSetup - to sync passwords across chrome sessions over different machines
delete autocomplete entry
highlight the link of interest -> shift+delete
restart chrome browser
If you type “chrome://restart” into the Chrome browser, it’ll restart the browser and re-open tabs. Use this trick if the connection is slow or if the browser does not load properly.
clear cache for just one website
chrome://settings/siteData -> search for the website -> delete it
Install an extension without admin privileges
- Download the extension
cd $software mkdir -p downloads unzipped cd downloads mkdir $extension cd $extension curl -L https://github.com/$user/$repo/archive/master.zip -O unzip master.zip -d ../../unzipped cd ../../unzipped mv $extension $extension_asof_`date +'%Y%m%d_%H%M%S'`
- Add it to chrome
- chrome://extensions -> Enable "Developer mode"
- Drag the extensions folder above into it
Note:- The extension folder should contain manifest.json in it.
Match whole words
- There is no way to search for "whole words" on a web page in Chrome. For example, it is not possible to search for "all" but exclude hits such as "install", "pitfall".
- Install "Chrome Regex Search" extension
- Source code: https://github.com/rogershen/chrome-regex-search
- Chrome store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-regex-search/bpelaihoicobbkgmhcbikncnpacdbknn?hl=en&gl=US
Now search using Ctrl+Shift+f -> \bword\b
Tested on: Windows 10 Enterprise with extension code asof 2019-12-19.
Install ublock origin
cd $software/build mkdir ublock_origin_parent; cd ublock_origin_parent git clone https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock.git git clone https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets.git cd uBlock git checkout master source activate py38 ./tools/make-chromium.sh
The package is created in dist/build/uBlock0.chromium
chrome -> chrome://extensions/ Enable Developer mode -> Load unpacked select /uBlock/dist/build/uBlock0.chromium/
cd $software/zipped mkdir bypass_paywalls cd bypass_paywalls curl -L -O https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/archive/master.zip
Create a backup of previously unzipped version.
cd ../unZipped make_bkup.py bypass-paywalls-chrome-master rm -rf bypass-paywalls-chrome-master
Unzip the latest version
This will unzip everything into $software/unZipped/bypass-paywalls-chrome-master
chrome -> chrome://extensions/ Enable Developer mode -> Load unpacked select $software/unZipped/bypass-paywalls-chrome-master
- https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/archive/v1.7.5.zip - link to download a specific version.
Input Cursor Focus
Needed it for millionshort.com which does not focus the cursor in the search bar.
New Tab Redirect
Using it to set set the new tab url to millionshort.com