- 1 favorite configuration on desktop
- 2 Configuration
- 3 sort after
favorite configuration on desktop
restore previous session
Settings -> On startup -> Manage on startup pages -> Pages to open on startup -> check "Continue where you left off"
chrome://settings/startupUrls -> Manage on startup pages -> Pages to open on startup -> check "Continue where you left off"
- chrome://settings or Menu -> Settings
-> Show advanced settings -> Privacy -> Content settings ->
- Location -> "Do not allow any site to track your physical location"
- Notifications -> "Do not allow any site to show notifications"
disable video auto play
- Disable automatic playing of videos on facebook.com using this extension. Once the extension is installed, hide the icon in the toolbar by right clicking on it -> select "Hide in Chrome menu".
Show the bookmarks toolbar
Settings -> Appearance -> Show bookmarks bar -> slide right
Set chrome as default web browser
Settings -> Default browser -> make chrome the default
Settings -> Appearance -> Show Home button -> slide it right.
Set the home page to https://qwant.com which is a search engine similar to Google but respects your privacy.
set up custom search engines
Right click in the address bar -> Edit search engines or preferences button -> Settings -> Settings -> Search -> Manage search engines
|Add a new search engine||Keyword||URL with %s in place of query|
To access the search engines, enter the keyword in the address bar and press tab.
Another easy way to add a custom search engine is to go to the website, right click on the search bar -> select "Add as search engine..." -> edit the fields if necessary -> ok
Settings -> Show advanced settings -> Passwords and forms -> Manage passwords
- uBlock Origin. It was mentioned in http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2016/i-chipped-in/
save pdf files instead of opening them directly
Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy and security -> Content Settings -> PDF documents -> Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome -> turn on Settings -> Advanced -> Downloads -> Ask where to save each file before downloading -> turn on
- chrome://settings/syncSetup - to sync passwords across chrome sessions over different machines
delete autocomplete entry
highlight the link of interest -> shift+delete
restart chrome browser
If you type “chrome://restart” into the Chrome browser, it’ll restart the browser and re-open tabs. Use this trick if the connection is slow or if the browser does not load properly.
clear cache for just one website
chrome://settings/siteData -> search for the website -> delete it
Install an extension without admin privileges
- Download the extension
cd $software mkdir -p downloads unzipped cd downloads mkdir $extension cd $extension curl -L https://github.com/$user/$repo/archive/master.zip -O unzip master.zip -d ../../unzipped cd ../../unzipped mv $extension $extension_asof_`date +'%Y%m%d_%H%M%S'`
- Add it to chrome
- chrome://extensions -> Enable "Developer mode"
- Drag the extensions folder above into it
Note:- The extension folder should contain manifest.json in it.
Match whole words
- There is no way to search for "whole words" on a web page in Chrome. For example, it is not possible to search for "all" but exclude hits such as "install", "pitfall".
- Install "Chrome Regex Search" extension
- Source code: https://github.com/rogershen/chrome-regex-search
- Chrome store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-regex-search/bpelaihoicobbkgmhcbikncnpacdbknn?hl=en&gl=US
Now search using Ctrl+Shift+f -> \bword\b
Tested on: Windows 10 Enterprise with extension code asof 2019-12-19.