space filling journalism
- Josh Robinson at http://www.bloomberg.com/authors/APYZa-30CgQ/josh-robinson
Here is an example http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-30/economists-say-greece-will-cling-to-euro . The article talks about the results from a survey but fails to mention how the survey is conducted, how the participants were paid (if any), number of people who took the survey etc., I find this type of articles incomplete, misleading and utterly useless.
- Jonathan D. Rockoff and Michael Rothfeld at http://www.wsj.com/articles/biggest-valeant-holder-plumbed-philidor-ties-1447202547
Basically they wrote 1000+ article which can be summed up in one sentence - "Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb Inc., manager of Sequoia Fund Inc., and the biggest shareholder of Valeant is inquiring abut Ties between Valeant and Philidor". I find reading this type of articles a waste of time.
- John Carreyrou
He reported in 2015 that Theranos is a fraud - https://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-has-struggled-with-blood-tests-1444881901 . It was mentioned in Matt Levine's https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-14/theranos-misled-investors-and-consumers-who-used-its-blood-test
- Noah Cohen at http://connect.nj.com/staff/noahcohen/posts.html
positives: articles are succinct, provide full information, no hype, have relevant images.
How I came across it: http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2016/03/3_treated_for_smoke_inhalation_after_apartment_fir.html
- Caroline Winter at Bloomberg Businessweek. Compare the article she wrote on Scott Adams and the rebuttal by Scott Adams where he explains how the writer distorted the facts.
Height of desperation
- Jared Dillian - https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-09/does-warren-buffett-not-understand-risk-adjusted-returns - Desperately tries to argue that (1) Investing in hedge funds is better than investing in index (2) How Warren Buffett is wrong about recommending index funds than hedge funds for an average investor. The arguments does not even make any sense. Better to skip articles from this author from now on.
- Leonid Bershidsky - https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-28/invest-in-bitcoin-even-if-it-s-a-bubble - advices to invest in Bitcoin even though he knows that it is a bubble and a ponzi scheme. Better to avoid any articles from this author from now on.