my favorite configuration
- scrollbar -> right click -> Customize Highlighting Level -> drag it to Syntax
- File -> Settings -> Editor -> General -> Editor Tabs -> Tab Closing Policy -> Tab limit - 20 -> OK
- search for whole words - \bfoo\b
- To go back after control clicking
- Ctrl+Alt+Left arrow, Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow - to go back and forward
- Ctrl+Tab - Switch to the last (most recent) tab -- similar to how Alt+Tab works
Ref:- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25103626/in-pycharm-how-to-go-back-to-last-location tags | coming back after navigating to a function
- Jump to next/previous function
- Navigating between editor tabs
- Open a file already opened in another tab - Ctrl+Tab
- Go to the right or to the left tab - Alt+Right or Alt+Left
- Go back and forth through the history of visited tabs - Ctrl+Alt+Left, Ctrl+Alt+Right
- view function definition
- Ctrl+left click
- Ctrl+Shift+Plus - open closed folds
- duplicate current line - Ctrl+d . Documented in https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/adding-deleting-and-moving-code-elements.html#d1293e39
- Exclude some directories from pycharm project - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/excluding-files-from-projects.html
- Find Tool Window - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/find-tool-window.html
- https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/changing-indentation.html - indent or deindent a block
- realign selected code - ctrl+alt+l
- indent/deindent selected code - tab/shift+tab
- pycharm tutorial - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/quick-start-guide.html
- checkout code from subversion repository - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/checking-out-files-from-subversion-repository.html
- add directory to the module path - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28326362/pycharm-and-pythonpath
- Feature-by-feature comparison between community and professional versions - https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html
- https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/menus-and-toolbars.html - contains a picture showing the menus and toolbars
- homepage - https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
- documentaion in pdf - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/2017.1/pycharm-2017.1-help.pdf . Does a similar thing exist for 2017.2?
- Joining Lines and Literals - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/joining-lines-and-literals.html
released, version 2017-09-05, 2017.2.3 2017-08-23, 2017.2.2 2017-07-11, 2017.1.5
- "tput: terminal attributes: No such device or address" - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42836245/tput-terminal-attributes-no-such-device-or-address-in-windows-pycharm-debugger
Run -> Edit configurations -> Environment variables -> click the three dots icon
Add something like
Send output from a run to a file
Edit Configurations -> Logs tab -> check "Save console output to file" -> provide the full path of the output file.
This will redirect both standard output and standard error. On subsequent runs, it overwrites the previous file.
- Pycharm does not correctly hightlight a multiline todo item inside the comments. It assumes that a todo item is always just a single line.
- You can easily make column selection by dragging your mouse pointer while keeping the Alt key pressed.